Restoring the smile after tooth loss is easy with dental implant surgery. Dental implants, also referred to as “tooth implants,” are a reliable replacement option for patients who have experienced tooth loss or extraction. Patients of the Winfield and Carol Stream, Illinois area who are in a situation where they need to replace one or more teeth may want to ask about these implants.
Implants are titanium posts embedded into the jawbone and provide a proper foundation for restorations such as crowns, bridges, or dentures. Drs. Evelyn Maggos and Britly Barton at Park Dental Care work with experienced surgeons for successful surgical placement of each implant and can assist patients with post-operative care and restoration.
Post-operative care instructions for patients who have obtained dental implants
Patients with dental implants placed by one of our reliable and expert oral surgeons can talk to their provider or our team about post-operative care instructions. Below are a few recommendations for those with new dental implants:
- Avoid hot, hard, or chewy foods for the first few days after dental implant placement. This is intended to allow time for the sore area to heal
- Take all medications prescribed by the surgeon as directed for a few days after surgery and beyond if needed. These will ensure that there are no complications during healing, such as the risk of infection
- Keep the area around the post clean by brushing and flossing as usual. This will prevent bacteria from building up, leading to infection
- Avoid smoking or drinking alcohol for a few weeks after surgery. These habits are not conducive to healing and can cause complications during this period
- Continue to see your provider at least once a year so that any potential issues can be caught early enough for successful intervention
Request more information about dental implants from the team at Park Dental Care
If you reside in or around the Carol Stream and Winfield, IL, areas, speak to a dentist who can guide you through the process of obtaining a dental implant and caring for it.