Did you know about 60% of your tooth is seated below the gum line? You may think your hidden tooth is safe from infection and disease, but this isn’t the case. The reality is that bacteria inhabiting the plaque and tartar are masters at infiltrating the tiny gaps in the gingival tissue, causing an infection that may lead to abscesses, decay, and tooth loss. If you escape an infection, you may not be lucky enough to evade dental trauma that may lead to tooth loss.
The good news is that you don’t have to settle for a “gappy” smile for the rest of your life. With natural-looking dental implants from Park Dental Care, Winfield, Illinois, residents can complete their smiles and restore oral function as if they had 100% natural teeth. Even better, dental implants replace your missing tooth for life!
The Dental Implant Process
The technology and artistry must be top-notch if you want a permanent solution like a dental implant. Under the able leadership of Dr. Evelyn Maggos, Park Dental Care has benefited many patients with dental implants. For these patients, they had the patience and commitment to follow through with the below step-by-step dental implant process:
- Consultation: The first step is scheduling a consultation with Dr. Everlyn Maggos or Dr. Britly Barton. We get to know you as a person, understand your expectations, and explain what implant-based restorations entail. If you are aligned, we take your medical history and examine your mouth using radiographs. The objective is to ensure your mouth is free of tooth decay and gum disease, which can infect your implant. The initial examination also establishes if you have sufficient bone to support an implant.
- Pre-surgery procedures: Have a severely decayed or damaged tooth? It will need to be extracted first for the implant to occupy that space. Don’t have sufficient jaw bone? We will recommend bone grafting to give you a healthy bone.
- Implant surgery: Inserting a biocompatible titanium screw in your jawbone is where experience and artistry come into play. The implant has to be inserted at a precise location in your jaw bone. Not too deep, not too shallow, and not near a nerve. But you don’t have to worry about this because Dr. Evelyn and the team work with experienced surgeons for the successful surgical placement of each implant.
- Healing: The implant needs about six months to heal. During the healing period, the implant post fuses with the jawbone through osseointegration. This fusion results in a firm implant that can support one or several tooth prostheses.
- Placing an abutment: Next, we place an abutment that connects your implant to the tooth prosthesis. This is a minor surgery that requires about two weeks of healing.
- Final restoration: Depending on the number of teeth missing, the final step is restoring your tooth with a crown, bridge, or denture. Whatever the option, the final results will be natural-looking, and no one will ever tell that you had missing teeth.
Dental implants aren’t the only option for replacing teeth. However, while you can fix your mouth gap with dentures or bridges, none provide permanency like dental implants. Once a dental implant is installed, you don’t have to think about that gap again.
Replace Your Missing Tooth for Life with Dental Implants
We believe everyone in Winfield, Illinois, deserves high-quality dentistry, and that’s why we have invested in implantology and other services to optimize your dental health. Ready to benefit from long-lasting dental implants in Winfield, Illinois? Please call 630-556-8880 to schedule an appointment with Park Dental Care.