Carol Stream, IL dental team provides bad breath treatment
Halitosis is embarrassing when you are aware of it, and it is hard to estimate the impact on business and social relationships when you do not realize your breath is bad. Gum and mints temporarily mask symptoms, but the dentists at Park Dental Care in Carol Stream, IL get to the root of the problem for the most effective treatment.
What causes bad breath?
Strongly scented foods like onion and garlic can leave a lingering smell. However, in the simplest terms, most mouth odor is caused by bacteria – microorganisms breaking down biological matter in the oral cavity. If that sounds a little like compost, you are right. Ewww!
Factors contributing to mouth smell include:
- Decaying food particles left in the mouth between meals.
- Gum disease characterized by deteriorating hard and soft tissues.
- Tobacco products, which make it more difficult to fight gum disease.
- Dry mouth. Saliva helps to flush bacteria from the mouth naturally, so xerostomia brought on by medications or medical conditions can cause unpleasant “morning breath” throughout the day.
- Oral infections, including tooth decay and mouth sores.
- Nose, throat, or sinus infections, which may produce foul-smelling drainage at the back of the mouth.
- Tonsil stones or tonsillitis. These calcifications form in crevices in soft tissues, becoming coated with mucus, dead cells, and bacteria.
- Old, ill-fitting dental restorations that trap food and pathogens.
In many cases, a bad breath cure consists of professional cleaning and improved home oral hygiene. In other situations, chronic bad breath can be a sign of an underlying health issue such as GERD, a metabolic disorder, or cancer. It makes sense to talk with your dentist about the condition.
Effective bad breath treatment in Carol Stream, IL
Halitosis treatment at Park Dental Care starts with an oral examination. You discuss symptoms and lifestyle to determine reasons for bad breath. The doctor may recommend dental treatment or prescribe an antibacterial toothpaste or special mouthwash for bad breath. Dr. Evelyn and Dr. Britly are eager to help you enjoy the confidence of fresh breath. Call 630-556-8880 for an appointment at Park Dental Care.